U.S. – CPSC Amends 16 CFR 1229 Safety Standard for Infant Bouncer Seats
Vol. 1326 | September 29, 2022
On Sept 6, 2022, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) published a direct final rule in the Federal Register amending 16 CFR Part 1229, Safety Standard for Infant Bouncer Seats. The direct final rule replaces in 16 CFR 1229, reference to the ASTM F2167-19, previous version of the standard, with a reference to the ASTM F2167-22, current version of the standard.
This direct final rule will become effective on Dec 19, 2022, unless the CPSC receives a significant adverse comment by Oct 6, 2022. Infant bouncer seats manufactured on or after Dec 19, 2022, will have to meet the requirements in the ASTM F2167-22 standard. In addition, the Certification, per 16 CFR 1110, of the infant bouncer seats manufactured on and after Dec 19, 2022, shall be based on testing to the ASTM F2167-22 standard.
Substantive revision to the ASTM F2167-22 in the warnings section clarified that the product is not intended or safe for sleep and directs consumers to move the baby to a flat sleep surface if the baby falls asleep in the product. Babies have suffocated when bouncers tipped over on soft surfaces and/or when bouncers have been used as a sleep product.
- Suffocation hazard: Babies have suffocated when bouncers tipped over on soft surfaces and/or when bouncers have been used as a sleep product.
- NEVER use on a bed, sofa, cushion, or other soft surface.
- Stay near and watch baby during use. This product is not safe for sleep or unsupervised use. If baby falls asleep, remove baby as soon as possible and place baby on a firm, flat sleep surface such as a crib or bassinet.
- To prevent falls and suffocation:
- ALWAYS use restraints and adjust to fit snugly.
The final rule can be viewed at: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/09/06/2022-19179/safety-standard-for-infant-bouncer-seats
A copy of the ASTM F2167-22 standard can be purchased from: https://www.astm.org/f2167-22.html
For questions, please contact Dr. Pratik Ichhaporia (email@example.com, +1 847 212 8273)