U.S. – CPSC Adopts ASTM F406-19 for Non-Full-Size Baby Cribs and Play yards in Direct Final Rule
Vol. 1113 | November 05, 2019
As part of the rulemaking process required by Section 104(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA), the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has approved the new ASTM F406-19 to be incorporated in the federal regulation 16 CFR 1220 – Safety Standard for Non-Full-Size Baby Cribs and 16 CFR 1221 – Safety Standard for Play Yards.
With this direct final rule, the CPSC is adopting the latest revision of the ASTM F406 Standard Consumer Safety Specification for Non-Full-Size Baby Cribs/Play Yards as mandatory for both non-full-size cribs and play yards.
The significant changes to the ASTM F406-19 standard with respect to each product category are as follows:
- Non-full-size baby cribs:
- Revision to the toeholds requirement by adding a lower bound requirement and aligning it with the toeholds’ prohibition in the full-size cribs standard.
- Play yards:
- Added definition, requirement and test method for entrapment in cantilevered accessories.
- Clarified stability test to specify placement of the test fixture.
- Mattress vertical displacement test split into two tests – the first being the original test reworded for more precise testing and an added secondary test to account for evaluation of samples without a tubular floor support structure.
- Alternate on-product warnings provided for products intended to be used in child care facilities.
The revised ASTM F406-19 standard becomes the mandatory safety standard for non-full-size baby cribs and play yards effective January 20, 2020, unless the CPSC receives any significant adverse comments by November 22, 2019. Non-full-size baby cribs and play yards manufactured on and after this date shall meet requirements of their respective rules and additionally will also require certification per 16 CFR 1110 based on testing at a CPSC approved third party accreditation body (third party lab) per ASTM F406-19 standard.
The Final Rule can be reviewed at: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2019-10-23/pdf/2019-23088.pdf
For questions, please contact Laxmi Ravikumar (firstname.lastname@example.org, +1-630-209-9265).