Brazil – Amendments on Quality Regulation for Toys and School Articles Approved
Vol. 1171 | July 09, 2020
The National Institute of Metrology, Quality and Technology (INMETRO) has published an ordinance to amend the Quality Regulation for Toys and School Articles. The following is a summary of the amendments:
Quality Regulation for Toys
- Enforcement date
- After 1 January 2022, toys that are manufactured or imported into the domestic market shall comply with this ordinance.
- After 1 January 2023, manufacturers and importers shall not sell toys not complying with this ordinance in the domestic market or make trade with distributors, retailers or traders.
- After 1 July 2025, all toys sold in the domestic market shall comply with this ordinance.
- After 1 January 2022, the maximum amount of formamide allowed in toys containing expanded ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer (EVA) shall be reduced from 0.5% to 0.3%.
- Applicable mandatory standards/requirements:
ABNT NBR NM 300-1:2011
Safety of toys: Safety aspects related to mechanical and physical properties
ABNT NBR NM 300-2:2004
Safety of toys: Flammability
ABNT NBR NM 300-3:2011
Safety of toys: Migration of certain elements
ABNT NBR NM 300-4:2004
Safety of toys: Experimental sets for chemistry and related activities
ABNT NBR NM 300-5:2004
Safety of toys: Chemical toys (sets) other than experimental sets
ABNT NBR NM 300-6:2004
Safety of toys: Safety of electrical toys
ABNT NBR 13793:2012
Safety of feeding bottles
ABNT NBR 11786:1998
Safety of toys (standard cancelled on publishing of ABNT NBR NM 300 Standard, however it is used as regulatory basis for this RTQ in two essays).
ABNT NBR 16040:2018
Phthalates - Determination of phthalic plasticizers by gas chromatography
ABNT ISO/TR 8124-8:2017
Guidelines for determining the initial age range
Safety of Laser Products
Inmetro Ordinance No. 250, 2016
Determine the requirements that should be applicable to all product certification processes, conducted based on Conformity Assessment Requirements governed or not by the RGCP.
- The amendments on the technical requirements aimed to align with the requirements of the mandatory standards.
- Other amendments include the labelling requirements, the list of examples of toys, age classification, the conformity assessment requirements and the conformity identification seal.
Quality Regulation of School Articles
- The amendments on the Quality Regulation of School Article shall enter into force immediately.
- The term “play dough” shall be deleted from the followings:
- the system 5 certification sampling plan;
- guideline of school articles framework;
- application of the conformity identification seal;
- definition of school articles subject to certification;
- age classification.
For more information, please contact:
852 3760 6364