Engine Emissions Testing FAQs

Answers to some of your most frequently asked questions

The off-road engine industry produces exhaust emissions that are regulated in the US by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB), Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC), European Commission (EC), and other regulating agencies.

In the US, the Clean Air Act (CAA) requires that all engines and vehicles be covered by a certificate of conformity before they can enter into commerce. A certificate of conformity demonstrates that the respective engine or vehicle conforms to all applicable emission requirements.

This FAQ sheet will help improve the basic understanding of small engine emissions testing and facilitate discussion around testing requirements.

Among the questions our experts tackled, include:

  • What types of emissions testing must be performed for the small, non-road engines?
  • What is certification testing?
  • What is conformity testing?
  • What is production line testing?
  • And more…

Download your free copy today!