Intertek is the leading provider of quality and safety solutions globally. In May 2002, Intertek floated on the London Stock Exchange, and is now a FTSE 100 company. The market capitalisation of the Group on 5th August 2011 was £3 bn. The stock symbol is ITRK.
Industry growth drivers
The quality and safety services industry is a developing sector. Intertek focuses on fast-growing, high margin markets, in providing services such as testing, inspection, certification and auditing services to a wide range of global and local industries. Through its services Intertek helps customers to assess the products and commodities that they buy and sell against a wide range of safety, regulatory, quality and performance standards.
The markets that Intertek operates in continue to grow strongly, driven by the following trends:
- Increasing levels of standards, regulations, environmental and safety requirements applicable to products and commodities globally
- A greater emphasis on the safety, quality and performance of goods and commodities generally by consumers and governments
- Increasing product variety by retailers and manufacturers to meet consumer appetite and gain market share
- Decreasing product life cycles, leading to an increase in the number of new products developed, each requiring testing
- Continuing migration of manufacturing operations from developed countries to less developed countries
- Constant changes in global trade flows and inter-regional trade flows
- Increasing numbers of consumers in emerging economies
- A growing trend towards outsourcing of testing laboratories and quality and safety services, and demand by industry for cost-effective outsourced services
Intertek is well-placed to take advantage of these growth areas due to its strong competitive market position.
- Worldwide network of facilities with strong local presence
- Portfolio of brand names, safety labels, approvals and accreditations
- Strong positions in the principal market segments in which Intertek operates
- Management accountability
- Track record of organic growth and investment
- Active risk management procedures and internal controls
Operating in a large number of market segments, the group services more than 25 different industries and since 2011 is organised into five main divisions: Consumer Goods, Commercial & Electrical, Commodities (including Minerals), Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals, and Industry & Assurance.