Marine Products Testing: Flammability
Intertek has the facilities and knowledge to handle virtually any flammability or fire resistance testing project required to obtain Type Approval for your product.
Intertek is an industry leader in fire resistance and material flammability testing for compliance with International Maritime Organization (IMO) and Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) requirements. We are accepted and recognized by the United States Coast Guard (USCG) as an independent testing laboratory. In addition, our follow-up inspection services fulfill the USCG’s requirement for auditing by a competent authority of the manufacturer’s quality control system to ensure continuous compliance of the product with the type approval conditions.
The USCG is the Administration for the United States, a member state to the IMO, and is responsible for issuing domestic and international (IMO) Type Approvals and Case-by-Case Approvals for products intended for use in commercial vessels. Intertek can also help you meet your testing needs for obtaining Type Approval from other Administrations and Notified Bodies in order to expand your product recognition.
We have the expertise, accreditations and equipment to test to virtually all applicable industry requirements including:
- IMO FTP Code Part 1, Non-combustibility Test (ISO 1182)
- IMO FTP Code Part 2, Smoke and Toxicity Test (USCG Acceptance Pending)
- IMO FTP Code Part 3, Test for “A”, “B” an “F” Class Divisions (IMO Res. A.754 (18))
- IMO FTP Code Part 4, Test for Fire Door Control Systems
- IMO FTP Code Part 5, Test for Surface Flammability (IMO Res. A.653(16))
- IMO FTP Code Part 6, Test for Primary Deck Coverings (IMO Res. A.653(16))
- IMO FTP Code Part 7, Test for Vertically Supported Textiles and Films (IMO Res. A.563(14))
- IMO FTP Code Part 8, Test for Upholstered Furniture (IMO Res. A.652(16))
- IMO FTP Code Part 9, Test for Bedding Components (IMO Res. A.688(17))
- IMO FTP Code Part 10, Tests of Fire-Restricting Materials for High-Speed Craft (MSC.40(64) as amended by resolution MSC.90(71))
- IMO FTP Code Part 11, Test for Fire-Resisting Divisions of High-Speed Craft (MSC.45(65))
- USCG PFM 2-98, Policy File Memorandum on the Use of Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Gratings and Cable Trays
- ISO 5659-2, Plastics -- Smoke generation -- Part 2: Determination of optical density by a single-chamber test
- ISO 5660-1, Reaction-to-fire tests -- Heat release, smoke production and mass loss rate -- Part 1: Heat release rate (cone calorimeter method)
- ISO 5660-2, Reaction-to-fire tests -- Heat release, smoke production and mass loss rate -- Part 2: Smoke production rate (dynamic measurement)
- ISO 9705, Fire tests -- Full-scale room test for surface products
- ASTM E 84, Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials
- ISO 22899-1, Determination of the resistance to jet fires of passive fire protection materials—Part 1: General Requirements
- EB413 for Electric Boats
Fire Testing: Intertek has the expertise and testing facilities to meet your fire testing needs. We can perform large-scale fire resistance tests, intermediate or small-scale material flammability tests, or custom-designed tests for research and development purposes. Intertek can help you meet your testing and certification objectives.
Fire Resistance Testing: Our fire resistance testing facilities include full-scale, intermediate-scale, and small-scale furnaces. We have the facilities you need to demonstrate compliance with the fire resistance requirements for the Marine Industry. Our complete testing facilities enable us to test products and assemblies including bulkheads, decks, linings, doors, windows, dampers, penetrations, and fiberglass reinforced gratings. We can conduct testing to a standard time-temperature curve or to a high-rise time-temperature curve for hydrocarbon fire classification. Intertek also has a jet-fire test facility for demonstrating resistance of passive fire protection to the impingement of a jet-fire.
Material Flammability Testing: Our material flammability testing facilities include a tube furnace for non-combustibility testing, Lateral Ignition and Flamespread Test (LIFT) apparatus for flammability testing, a smoke chamber and FTIR analyzer for smoke and toxicity testing, a cone calorimeter apparatus, a room-corner testing facility, upholstered furniture testing apparatus, and apparatus for testing of bedding components, an apparatus for testing of vertically supported textiles and films, and a Steiner tunnel for testing of flame spread and smoke development.
Custom Designed Testing: Intertek can provide custom-designed tests for research and development purposes. These may include full-scale, intermediate scale, or small scale tests. Intermediate and small-scale tests can be useful tools for research and development purposes. They can help in gaining a better understanding of how the product might perform in a full-scale test condition and can aide in developing a test plan for a product or assembly.
Products we test include:
Floor Coverings and Primary Deck Coverings
Ceilings and Linings
Draperies, Curtains, and Other Vertically Supported Textiles
Upholstery for Furniture Bedding Components (mattresses, pillows, blankets, quilts, bedspreads, etc.)
Cable, Pipe, and Duct Penetrations
FRP Cable Trays
Composite Pipes and Fittings
Passive Fire Protection (Jet Fire Impingement)
Request more information to see how Intertek can help your organization with Marine Products Testing: Flammability.