HVAC Compressor Lubricant Analysis
Identify problems in your lubricants before they cost your money
Changes in the operation of a compressor are reflected in the properties and makeup of its lubricating oil. Scheduled analysis of lubricants identifies problems before they cost you money. The chance of compressor burnout, system failures, and unscheduled maintenance can be greatly reduced by a combination of scheduled analysis and regular tear down inspections.
Intertek offers fast lubricant analysis services, providing you with test results within 72-hours of receipt. Each analysis includes service recommendations based on the data from the analytical report. In addition, we will attach a historical summary of all lubricant samples based on the Unit Identification number provided by your company for that unit. This historical summary can help identify and track any trends in wear, which deviations from those trends are warning signs.
Lubricant analysis also provides clues about the relative success of a compressor retrofit. Analysis can identify residual mineral oil in polyol esters (POE) and poly alkalyene glycol (PAG). Our laboratory offers an array of lubricant testing for preventative maintenance and retrofits.
- ASTM D 4377 – Standard Test Method for Water in Crude Oils by Potentiometric Karl Fischer Titration
- ASTM D 974 – Standard Test Method for Acid and Base Number by Color-Indicator Titration
- ASTM D 445 – Standard Test Method for Kinematic Viscosity of Transparent and Opaque Liquids
- ASTM D5185 – Standard Test Method for Determination of Additive Elements, Wear Metals, and Contaminants in Used Lubricating Oils by Inductively Coupled Plasma Atomic Emission Spectroscopy
- ASTM D 1500 – Standard Test Method for ASTM Color of Petroleum Products
- Mineral Oil in POE/AB oil