Intertek Scientific & Regulatory Consultancy Staff: Nigel Baldwin
Nigel Baldwin, B.Sc., MIFST, CSci Director, Scientific & Regulatory Consultant, Europe, Food & Nutrition Group
Nigel Baldwin has a wealth of knowledge and experience with international food, food ingredient, and specialty chemical regulations. He is a recognized expert in the area of novel foods and food supplements in Europe with extensive practical insight into the areas of food and feed additives, food enzymes, infant formula, functional foods and health claims. Providing invaluable expertise to international companies seeking to develop and implement strategies for gaining approvals for new products and health claims in Europe. Nigel has worked on more than 30 successful regulatory approvals world-wide.
Mr. Baldwin has worked in technical and regulatory affairs for over 20 years, encompassing nutritional and chemical microbiology, analytical chemistry, food science, quality management and toxicology. Prior to joining Intertek Scientific & Regulatory Consultancy (formerly Cantox) in 2003, he was previously Corporate Regulatory Affairs Manager for a major international food ingredient company working on regulatory strategies for food additives and novel food ingredients.
He was also European Director of Technical and Regulatory Affairs for a major functional food ingredient company during its initial development and market launches working extensively on novel foods, food supplements, health claims, infant formula and feed regulatory approvals and strategies. Therefore, Nigel Baldwin has firsthand experience with the technical, time and cost pressures facing new product development. Mr. Baldwin has worked on more than 100 regulatory submissions, including more than 30 novel food applications.
Mr. Baldwin received his B.Sc. with honours in Biochemistry and Physiology in 1987 from the University of Central Lancashire, majoring in Microbial Biotechnology and Pharmacology and is a Chartered Scientist in the UK. He is also a member of the Institute of Food Science and Technology.
Webinars Presented by Nigel Baldwin:
Publications Written by Nigel Baldwin:
- Tafazoli S, Vo TD, Petersen A, Constable A, Coulet M, Phothirath P, Lang J, Baldwin N. (2017). Genotoxicity, acute and subchronic toxicity evaluation of savory food ingredients - Regul Toxicol Pharmacol.;87:71-87
- Röhrig CH, Choi SSH, Baldwin N (2017). The nutritional role of free sialic acid, a human milk monosaccharide, and its application as a functional food ingredient - Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 57(5):1017-1038. DOI:10.1080/10408398.2015.1040113.
- Baldwin N (2015). Does the draft regulation solve existing problems? - Presented at: European Union. Proceedings of the Workshop on Novel Foods, Oct. 7, 2014, Brussels. Brussels, Belgium: European Parliament, Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI), Directorate General for Internal Policies, pp. 64-70.
- Baldwin N (2015). Health claims on food and 6 beverage labels: comparing approaches in the EU and the USA - In: Berryman P, editor. Advances in Food and Beverage Labelling: Information and Regulations. (Woodhead Publishing Series in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition, no 272). Waltham (MA), Cambridge, UK: Woodhead Publishing / Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier, pp. 87-112.
- Choi SS, Lynch BS, Baldwin N, Dakoulas EW, Roy S, Moore C, Thorsrud BA, Röhrig CH (2015). Safety evaluation of the human-identical milk monosaccharide, L-fucose - Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 72(1):39-48. DOI:10.1016/j.yrtph.2015.02.016.
- Choi SS, Baldwin N, Wagner VO 3rd, Roy S, Rose J, Thorsrud BA, Phothirath P, Röhrig CH (2014). Safety evaluation of the human-identical milk monosaccharide sialic acid (N-acetyl-d-neuraminic acid) in Sprague-Dawley rats. - Regul Toxicol Pharmacol.70(2):482-91.
- Time for New Novel Food Definitions - Nutritional Insights, Summer 2014
- General Comparison of Health Claims with Regards to Food and Supplement Legislation Frameworks in Europe, the United States, and Canada - inform, June 2014, Vol. 25 (6)
- EXPORT REGULATION: All Change for Russia and the Customs Union - The World of Food Ingredients, February 2014
- How to Navigate the Chinese Novel Food Hurdles - The World of Food Ingredients, October/November 2013, pp. 94-95
- Chinese Regulatory Opportunities (PDF) - The World of Food Ingredients, April/May 2013, pp.60-62
- Health Claims & Ingredients: Time to Look Forward (Dairy Innovation Magazine, Issue 45 Oct/Nov 2012 pp 34-35)
- The Medicalization of Food: Risks and Benefits (Convergence, September/October 2012, page 7)