EU - EN 71-5:2013 – Chemical Toys Other Than Experimental Sets Has Been Published and Harmonised
Vol. 723 | July 19, 2013
The 2013 revision of EN 71-5, covering safety requirements for chemical toys (sets) other than experimental (chemistry sets), has been published. This is the latest measure aligning the European EN 71 toys safety standards with the new chemical requirements of the EU Toys Safety Directive (TSD) 2009/48/EC, which take effect from 20 July 2013. EN 71-5:2013 is harmonised under the TSD, following the publication of its reference in EU’s Official Journal. Therefore compliance with EN 71-5:2013 will offer a presumption of conformity to the relevant TSD chemical requirements.
EN 71-5 addresses only selected types of chemical toys in which the child’s creativity is a significant part of the play value, as follows.
- Plaster of Paris (gypsum) moulding sets (Clause 4).
- Ceramic and vitreous enamelling materials supplied in miniature workshop sets (Clause 5).
- Oven-hardening plasticized PVC modelling clay sets (Clause 6).
- Plastic moulding sets; based on melting polystyrene granules (Clause 7.1).
- Embedding sets; preserving items in a transparent material (Clause 7.2).
- Adhesives, paints, lacquers, varnishes, thinners and cleaning agents (solvents) supplied or recommended in model sets (Clause 8).
The substances and mixtures permitted in these types of chemical toys are specified and the amounts that may be included, along with test methods for verification. Age restrictions, markings, labelling, safety rules, first aid information, instructions for use, and advice for adult supervision are also included.
The main changes in EN 71-5:2013 are:
- Labelling requirements are based on the EU Classification, Packaging and Labelling of Substances and Mixtures (CLP) Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008. This Regulation is the EU implementation of the United Nations Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS).
- Minimum age warnings are now presented per the TSD as, “Not suitable for children under (*) years. For use under adult supervision.” Where the age threshold (*) is to be determined by the manufacturer, authorised representative or importer, but shall be at least the minimum age specified for the type of toy.
- The rationale for selected requirements is included.
- Photographic processing sets have been deleted from EN 71-5.
information, please contact:
Tel: +44 (0) 116 296 1620