Washington State Proposes Bills Restricting the Use of Flame Retardants in Furniture and Children's Products
Washington State has proposed two bills to regulate the use of flame retardants in residential upholstered furniture and children's products.
- Effective Jul 1, 2014, no person shall manufacture, sell or distribute the products containing TRIS in amount > 50ppm in any product components.
- Effective Jul 1, 2015, no person shall manufacture, sell or distribute the products containing a flame retardant in amount > 50ppm identified as a high priority chemical of high concern for children as required under RCW 70.240 children's safe products.
- "Children's product" includes:
- Toys, children's cosmetics and children's jewelry;
- Any products designed or intended by the manufacturer to help a child with sucking or teething, to facilitate sleep, relaxation, or the feeding of a child, or to be worn as clothing by children;
- Child car seats.
- "TRIS" means either TDCPP (tris(1,3-dichloro-2-propyl) phosphate) or TCEP (tris(2-chloroethyl)phosphate))
- "Flame retardant" means any chemicals intentionally added to a product or product component where the functional use is to inhibit or resist the spread of fire.
Furthermore, except for TRIS or PBDEs, the department proposed to grant an exemption to restrictions of using high priority chemical of high concern for children for a length of time but not exceeding two years, if the manufacturer demonstrates that there is no technically feasible safer alternative to meet applicable Washington State or federal fire safety standards.
Intertek, through our extensive global network, has a variety of services available to help you overcome the challenges related to flame retardant in various products. We offer comprehensive programs and services which draw on our industry specific knowledge and technical expertise.
Should you have any queries on the above news, please contact Mr. Elvis Chan at Tel: (852) 2173-8617 / Mr. Ian Chow at Tel: (852) 2173-8630 / Fax to (852) 2785-8570 / Email: Intertek.firstname.lastname@example.org