China’s New Cosmetics Regulation (CSAR)
Intertek provides comprehensive services for the beauty and personal care products industries to ensure quality, safety, efficacy and regulatory compliance with the Cosmetics Supervision and Administration Regulation (CSAR).
China State Council released the final version of CSAR on
29 June 2020. This regulation came into force on
01 January 2021 and replaced the existing Cosmetics Hygiene Supervision Regulations.
CSAR aims to ensure the quality and safety of cosmetics through strengthening the supervision and management of cosmetics and controlling the production and operations to protect consumer health.
China’s new cosmetics regulation discusses many changes; some key updates include:
- New cosmetic definitions, scope and classifications
- Management of new cosmetic ingredients
- Addition of efficacy claims requirements
- Safety assessments for cosmetic products and requirements for safety assessors
For a more detailed breakdown of the changes, download our brochure.
Implications for Industry
Cosmetics businesses must be aware of the new regulatory requirements because as of 01 January 2021, the penalties for non compliance will increase significantly. Failure to comply with CSAR may result in the responsible person facing a lifetime ban for the production and operation of cosmetics in China.
Intertek helps local and international companies ensure that their products meet quality, safety, hygiene, regulatory compliance and social and environmental responsibility standards around the world. We can help you understand your regulatory obligations to achieve compliance.
Our services include:
- Toxicological Safety Assessments
- Toxicological Profiles of Ingredients
- Registration & Notification of New Cosmetic Ingredients
- Registration & Notification of Domestic/Imported Cosmetic Products
- Labelling Reviews
- Literature Review & Data Collection
- Regulatory Dossiers
- Microbiology & Stability Testing
- Cosmetic Packaging Analysis
- Causality Assessment
- Compliance Solutions
- Regulatory Support
- Sustainability Solutions