New Draft of Mandatory Safety Standard for Infant and Children’s Textile Products in China
Vol. 733 | September 30, 2013
(This is a draft standard which may be further modified and the information below cannot be considered officially final. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we await what the final standard will be.)
A new draft of mandatory national standard, “The safety technical code for infants and children’s textile products” was examined in an expert review meeting in Beijing on Sept 3, 2013. Safety technical requirements, test methods and inspection rules are regulated in this standard, which is applicable for all the infant and children’s textile products sold in China.
The standard not only focuses on the safety and health of infants and children, but also emphasizes the importance of safety and health as it relates to children’s textile products with which they come into contact.
The safety technical code defines the following:
Textile products for infants - Textile products that are worn or used by infants 36 months of age and younger.
Textile products for children - Textile products that are worn or used by children over 3 years of age, but are 14 years of age or younger.
- Safety categories classified into Category A, Category B and Category C, which are the same as GB 18401
- Products should comply with the technical requirements in both GB 18401 and this standard
- Labeling requirements for safety categories
- Color fastness to wet rubbing
- Heavy metal (total lead and total cadmium)
- Fiber filling should comply with technical requirements of GB 18401
- Feather and down filling should comply with microbe technical requirements of GB/T 17685
- Attachment strength of components for infants products
- Sharp edge and sharp points
- Cords and drawstring
- Sharp materials such as metal needle cannot be used in packaging
- Permanent label on infants products must be attached in the indicted position