U.S. – ANSI/ BIFMA X5.9 Storage Units Standard Updated
Vol. 1060 | March 04, 2019
On February 1, 2019, the Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association (BIFMA) released a new version of the industry standard for storage units, ANSI/BIFMA X 5.9-2019.
The following are the revisions to the amendment as compared to ANSI/BIFMA X 5.9-2012 version:
- The reference to X5.3 Vertical Files – Tests removed. Vertical files are applicable in X5.9.
- Unit strength test
- Added applicability notes for distributed functional load tests and distributed proof load tests
- Vertical load durability tests
- Modified and clarified test set ups. Allowed the use of bag or force.
- Stability tests
- Added the exempt for storage units less than 450mm in height
- For horizontal force stability test, changed the height of storage units without extendible elements to 762mm and the load in the lowest inside surface to 105kg/m2
- Added limitation of 965mm height for stability test for pedestals/storage units with seat surface
- Movement durability test for mobile storage units
- Added tolerance for obstacle thickness
- Changed cycle rate
- Added direction for caster/ glide combinations
- Extendible element cycle tests
- Added the exempt for extendible elements with load capacity of less than 7 kg and do not have mechanical suspensions
- Changed wide pulls at 457 mm
- Removed horizontal cycle test for television/video display terminal extendible elements that swivel
For more information, please contact:
852 3760 6310