Automotive End-of-Life (ELV) Compliance Requirements
Intertek provides global testing and consulting services to support compliance with the ELV Directive 2000/53/EC for automotive and related industries.
The European Union's End-of-Life Vehicle (ELV) Directive 2000/53/EC sets recovery targets for recycling of vehicles and components, encourages manufacturers to design their vehicles with part reuse and recycling in mind, and restricts the use of certain heavy metals in new vehicle manufacturing processes.
Motor vehicles which have come to the end of their life and are no longer suitable for use generate millions of tonnes of waste. European Union legislation stipulates how this waste should be collected and treated in order to minimise the impact on the environment, ensure the better reuse of the materials, and to improve energy conservation.
- Vehicle and equipment manufacturers must consider the dismantling, reuse and recovery process of the vehicles when designing and producing their products. They have to ensure that new vehicles are:
- Reusable and/or recyclable to a minimum of 85% by weight per vehicle
- Reusable and/or recoverable to a minimum of 95% by weight per vehicle
- Vehicle and equipment manufacturers must avoid the use of hazardous substances such as lead, mercury, cadmium and hexavalent chromium in automotive products.
ELV Compliance Limits
- Lead limits 0.1 % (1,000 ppm)
- Mercury limits 0.1 % (1,000 ppm)
- Chromium VI limits 0.1 % (1,000 ppm)
- Cadmium limits 0.01 (100 ppm)
Under Annex II of the ELV Directive, some applications are permitted to use lead, mercury, chromium-VI, or cadmium above the allowed limits. Intertek has the expertise to help you understand the list of exemptions and help determine whether the substances you are using fall outside any of the allowable limits.
How We Can Help
Intertek’s leading state-of-the-art testing and global compliance strategies provides companies with efficient and effective solutions for the End-of-Life Vehicle Directive.
Our services include:
- ELV Consulting
- ELV Technical File Documentation Support
- ELV Bill of Material (BoM) Assessments
- ELV Compliance Assurance
- Trace level detection for the presence of hazardous substances
- ELV Education and Training