Sporting Goods Testing
On every sports field, court and stadium, fans and athletes alike depend on durable sporting goods to play their game with pride.
That is why it is crucial for sporting goods manufacturers, retailers, suppliers and distributors to strive for the highest standards in quality and safety. Winning brands comply with local and international regulations, and ensure their product performance stays on par with an ever-changing competitive landscape. From design to game time, consumer confidence thrives on knowing which brands champion the methodologies needed to provide the tools of play they trust.
Intertek, with locations in over 100 countries, is well equipped with the most advanced and sophisticated testing facilities to test every sporting good imaginable – from ski goggles, snow shoes, swimming aids and more. Our experts offer customers expertise in the evaluation of sporting goods merchandise in compliance with international standards, such as AS/NZS, ASTM, Canada, BS, DIN, NFS, EN, FDA, ANSI, ISO, and others, as well as some unique methodologies designed specifically for your sporting goods needs.
Intertek offers the following services for sporting goods:
- Testing for regulatory compliance
- Performance evaluation (e.g., lifecycle, testing, fitness for use)
- GS Mark Certification
- Quality and performance mark certification
- Technical assessment and analysis
- Certified report of ISTA (International Safe Transit Association)
- EC type testing and evaluation for Consumer Goods labeling
GS Mark Certification Program
GS stands for “Geprüfte Sicherheit” (tested safety), a well-known certification mark in the German market. It signifies that the product has been evaluated against relevant product safety requirements by a trustworthy, independent institution. Intertek is authorized to provide GS mark certification for a variety of product categories including sporting goods, such as exercise bikes, treadmills, in-line skates, skateboards and more.
For CE marking of electrical sporting equipment, it is essential that the product complies with the EMC and LVD Directives (which have been a requirement in the European Union since January 1, 1996).
- Low voltage directive 2006/95/EC
- EU directive on electromagnetic compatibility 2004/108/EC
All safety, quality and performance test of bicycles are carried out by Intertek to the following national and international regulations:
- ASTM F963 (excluding bicycles)
- EN 14764/EN 14765/EN 14766/EN 14781
- CPSC 16CFR 1512
- ANSI Z315.1 (applicable for tricycles only)
- BS 6102
- ISO 9633
- NRF 30-020
- ISO 7636
- AS 1927
- ISO 8098/ISO4210
- EN 15194
Bicycle Safety Tests
Experienced engineers will assist in identifying possible defects that may be found on your bicycles by conducting quality and performance tests for rigidity, materials, endurance, finish, construction, lifecycle tests, stability, assembly, road tests and physical and mechanical hazards.
Buoyancy swimming aids are used, particularly by children, to float while maintaining the correct body position, to aid their swimming experience, or improve their stroke in the water. These products include swimming goggles, armbands, swimming masks, vests, backpacks, seats, collars, and kick boards (are not considered PPE). Many of these products are covered under the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Directive 89/686/EEC.
- Testing of swimming aids includes physical and mechanical tests, UV transmittance, and heavy metals testing.
- Some items need to be tested for colorfastness to light and UV resistance.
- Most items require adequate labeling providing clear instructions and warnings.
Request more information to see how Intertek can help your organization with Sporting Goods Testing.