We know that wearable technology will be more popular than ever in the coming years, when more brands are unveiling their smart devices to cope with the trend.
There are numerous examples of wearable devices like watches, glasses, contact lenses, e-textiles and smart fabrics, headbands, caps and jewelry such as rings, bracelets and earrings.
The implications and uses of wearable technology are far reaching and influencing in the fields of health and medical, fitness, aging, disabilities, education, transportation, enterprise, finance, gaming and music. Demand for wearable health and fitness technology gadgets is expected to quadruple in 2014, according to a new study of the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA).
Next-gen wearable devices requirements
Wearable devices are usually compatible with smart phones or tablets through Bluetooth or Wifi while connecting to mobile apps. Fitness or exercise-related wearables for example are connected to the body-building or running apps. In many cases, they have direct contact with skin which may lead to allergic reactions such as redness, rashes or blistering. As a responsible manufacturer, you have to take note on the wearable devices materials like stainless steel, strap materials or adhesives used to assemble the product.
Your crucial actions
As a result, safety and performance testing is crucial to your successful wearable devices:
- Wireless testing: FCC, IC, and new CE radio frequency requirement, ETSI EN 300 328 V1.8.1
- Chemical testing: RoHS, REACH, Phthalates, PAH, organotin, total lead, total cadmium, nickel release, anti-bacteria test, etc.
- Battery testing
- Wireless charging testing: Qi certification
- Apps testing for apps interoperability among different operating system platforms
- IPX testing for dust and water-proof
- Bluetooth SIG listing
- Wi-Fi alliance certification
Intertek Hong Kong's expertise brings best-in-class practices to ensure your wearable devices or applications are ready for the market and exceed your customers' expectations. We deliver a range of services from global safety testing and certification to performance testing that enables you to:
- Accelerate your speed to market
- Gain new efficiencies
- Reduce your risk, while protecting your brand and reputation
- Meet local and global regulation standards
- Transform your product into business success
Intertek Hong Kong
Ms Crystal Nip
Marketing - Consumer & Commercial Electrical
Tel: +852 2173 8820/ 2173 8888