Amending Annex XVII to Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the REACH
EU Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAHs) restrictions may now extend to rubber or plastic components across the European Commission as they are being considered as a proposed amendment to REACH Annex XVII, Item 50. If approved this amendment to Annex XVII, it is likely to be published in the EU’s Official Journal around mid-2013, to come into effect mid-2015.
Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are one kind of organic compounds containing two or more fused aromatic rings. Most PAHs in the environment are from incomplete burning of carbon-containing materials like oil, wood, garbage or coal, and found in coal, oil and gasoline.
In processed articles, they may exist in Creosote, Medicines, Dyes, Plastics, Rubbers, Pesticide, Lubricant, Release agent, Capacitance electrolyte, Mineral Oil, Pitch, Insecticide, Bactericide, Mosquito-repellent incense, Smoking, Petrol antifreeze…as the raw materials are Coal, Crude Oil, Tar.
As per current research, many PAHs have been considered carcinogenic and reproduction toxicity for humans with exposure to contact with skin and respiratory system.
This guide mainly includes:
These proposed requirements cover rubber or plastic components in articles that come into direct and prolonged contact with the human skin or the oral cavity, under normal or reasonably foreseeable conditions of use, which would have a maximum content of 1 mg/kg (0,0001 % by weight of the component) of any of the following PAHs:
- Benzo[a]pyrene (BaP) CAS No 50-32-8
- Benzo[e]pyrene (BeP) CAS No 192-97-2
- Benzo[a]anthracene (BaA) CAS No 56-55-3
- Chrysen (CHR) CAS No 218-01-9
- Benzo[b]fluoranthene (BbFA) CAS No 205-99-2
- Benzo[j]fluoranthene (BjFA) CAS No 205-82-3
- Benzo[k]fluoranthene (BkFA) CAS No 207-08-9
- Dibenzo[a,h]anthracene (DBAhA) CAS No 53-70-3
Examples of articles within the scope of the proposed restriction include:
- Toys including activity toys such as swings and childcare articles
- Sport equipment such as bicycles, golf clubs, racquets
- Household utensils, trolleys, walking frames
- Tools for domestic use
- Clothing, footwear, gloves and sportswear
- Watch-straps, wrist-bands, masks, head-bands
Intertek has the capability to evaluate the toxic Substances in the newly amended Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 to meet the safety requirement. By leveraging our local services and global network, we enable our customers to dedicate their primary energies to their core business activities.
For enquiries, please contact:
Tel： +86 21 6091 7146
Fax： +86 21 6495 8381
Tel： +86 755 2602 0099
Tel： +86 510 8821 8953
Fax： +86 510 8820 0428
Tel： +86 592 806 0052
Fax： +86 592 806 0054
Tel： +86 22 8371 1795
Fax： +86 22 8371 3523
Tel： +86 20 3210 2281
Tel： +86 532 8096 1827
Fax： +86 532 8096 1802