U.S. – California DTSC Publishes Finalized Priority Product Work Plan
Vol. 825 | April 20, 2015
On April 16, 2015, the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), as part of the Safer Consumer Products Regulation (SCPR) rollout, published the finalized Priority Product Work Plan (Work Plan)i. The Work Plan is substantially similar to the draft Work Plan DTSC published last year, and provides the regulated community with higher predictability and describes which product categories the DTSC will research and investigate over next three years in order to select the Priority Products.
The Work Plan consists of seven product categories. For each category the DTSC has identified subcategories, examples of the types of potential products and examples of potential Candidate Chemicals that they may consider. It should be noted that the Work Plan does not impose any regulatory requirements.
Product Categories listed in draft Work Plan are:
- Beauty, Personal Care and Hygiene Products
Building Products: Paints, Adhesives, Sealants and Flooring
- Example sub-categories: body wash & soaps, deodorants, lip balms & gloss, lotions, ointments, pomades, hair care products, cosmetics, nail care products and sunscreen.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: aldehydes, formaldehyde, alkylphenol ethoxylates, azo dyes, coal tars, lead, lead acetate, phthalates, triclosan and toluene.
- Example sub-categories: adhesives & glues, carpeting, carpet padding, caulking, engineered wood & laminate flooring, paints & primers, paint and graffiti removers & cleaners, plywood & OSB subflooring, roof coatings, sealants, stains & varnishes and vinyl flooring.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: brominated or chlorinated organic compounds, organophosphates, isocyanates, metals such as chromium VI, perfluorochemicals, phthalates and volatile organic compounds, such as formaldehyde, n-hexane, n-methyl-pyrrolidone, toluene.
- Household, Office Furniture and Furnishings
- Example sub-categories: bedding, fabric & textile furnishings, curtains and seating/sofas.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: chlorinated & brominated organic compounds, organophosphates and perfluorochemicals.
- Cleaning Products
- Example sub-categories: air fresheners, detergents, floor waxes & wax removers, oven cleaners, window cleaners, bathroom cleaners, surface cleaners, general-purpose cleaners, scouring cleaners, carpet cleaners, floor cleaners, deodorizers and spot removers.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: alkyl phenol ethoxylates, hydrogen fluoride, phthalates, triclosan and volatile organic compounds, such as n-hexane, methyl ethyl ketone, n-methyl-pyrrolidone, toluene and xylene.
- Example sub-categories: full body wear, lower body wear, sleepwear, sportswear, underwear and upper body wear.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: alkyl phenol & ethoxylates, aromatic amines & azo dyes, perfluorochemicals, formaldehyde, phthalates and triclosan.
- Fishing and Angling Equipment
- Example sub-categories: fishing weights & gear.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: metals.
- Office Machinery (Consumable Products)
- Example sub-categories: ink cartridges, thermal paper and toner cartridges.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: azo dyes, bisphenols, phthalates and volatile organic compounds, such as hexane, toluene and xylene.
For next steps DTSC will seek engagement and information from various stakeholders and as part of this process, during the second half of this year, will hold workshops to discuss listed product categories and potential Priority Products.
For questions, please contact:
Dr. Pratik Ichhaporia