U.S./California – DTSC Publishes Draft Priority Product Work Plan
Vol. 789 | September 26, 2014
As part of the California Safer Consumer Products (SCP) Regulation rollout, on September 12, 2014 the California-Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) published draft Priority Product Work Plan ('Work Plan'). The Work Plan outlines the direction of the SCP regulation for next three years and provides broad product categories that the DTSC will review, research and consider for potential Priority Products. The Work Plan along with the product categories also includes discussion outlining the considerations leading to the selection of these categories.
The Work Plan consists of seven product categories, and for each category the DTSC has identified subcategories, examples of the types of potential products, and examples of potential Candidate Chemicals that they may consider. Even though the broad nature of some categories incorporates many potential Priority Products, the DTSC probably will select between five and 10 products per year.
Product Categories listed in draft Work Plan are:
- Beauty, Personal Care and Hygiene Products
Building Products: Paints, Adhesives, Sealants and Flooring.
- Example sub-categories: body wash & soaps, deodorants, lip balms & gloss, lotions, ointments, pomades, hair care products, cosmetics and nail care products.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: aldehydes, formaldehyde, alkyl phenols & ethoxylates, azo dyes, coal tars, lead, & lead acetate, phthalates, triclosan and toluene.
Household, Office Furniture and Furnishings.
- Example sub-categories: adhesives & glues, carpeting, caulking, engineered wood, paints & primers, paint and graffiti removers & cleaners, plywood subfloors, compressed wood flooring products, roof coatings, sealants, stains & varnishes and vinyl flooring.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: brominated or chlorinated organic compounds, organophosphates, isocyanates, metals such as chromium VI, perfluorinated compounds, phthalates and volatile organic compounds, such as formaldehyde, n-hexane, n-methyl-pyrrolidone, toluene.
- Example sub-categories: bedding, fabric & textile furnishings and seating/sofas.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: chlorinated & brominated organic compounds, organophosphates and perfluorinated compounds.
- Example sub-categories: air fresheners, floor cleaners, oven cleaners, bathroom cleaners, carpet cleaners, detergents, floor waxes, general-purpose cleaners, scouring cleaners, spot removers and window cleaners.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: alkyl phenol & ethoxylates, hydrogen fluoride, phthalates, triclosan and volatile organic compounds, such as n-hexane, methyl ethyl ketone, n-methyl-pyrrolidone, toluene and xylene.
Fishing and Angling Equipment
- Example sub-categories: full body wear, lower body wear, sleepwear, sportswear, underwear and upper body wear.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: alkyl phenol & ethoxylates, aromatic amines & azo dyes, chlorinated paraffins, halogenated compounds & organophosphates, perfluorinated compounds, formaldehyde, phthalates and triclosan.
Office Machinery (Consumable Products)
- Example sub-categories: fishing weights & gear.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: metals.
- Example sub-categories: printer inks, specialty paper and toner cartridges.
- Potential Candidate Chemicals: azo dyes, bisphenols, phthalates and volatile organic compounds, such as benzaldehyde, hexanol, toluene and xylene.
The DTSC is accepting public comments on the draft Work Plan until October 13, 2014. As part of stakeholder involvement, the DTSC will also organize two workshops, one in Sacramento on September 25th and a second in Cypress on September 29th.
The draft Priority Products Work Plan can be reviewed at: http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/SCP/upload/FINAL-DRAFT-PPWP-140909.pdf
You can register for the workshops and review agenda at: http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/SCP/Workshops.cfm
For questions, please contact:
Dr. Pratik Ichhaporia