Photobiology testing and studies for sun protection products.
With greater consumer awareness and regulations governing products claiming SPF (Sun Protection Factor), tanning, water-resistance and skin lightening properties, proper testing of these products helps ensure your products work and are in compliance. Intertek offers study and trial services, backed by years of UV skin study exposure experience and state-of-the-art equipment.
Sun Protection Factor studies:
- SPF Calculation to determine the level of UVB protection offered by a product. This test can be conducted to standard regional guidelines such as the International, United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Australia/New Zealand methods.
- SPF and Water Resistance.
UVA Protection studies:
- Calculation of the time-induced pigment response & photostability of a product conducted under the Japan Cosmetic Industry Association (JCIA)’s Persistent Pigment Darkening Method (PPD) Method.
Water Resistance testing:
- SPF Calculation to determine the level of protection offered by product post-water immersion. This test can be conducted to standard regional guidelines such as European Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association (Colipa) or FDA methods.
Skin Tone Lightening studies:
- Using both subjective and objective measures, improvement in the appearance of skin tone can be measured in products.
Phototoxicity and Photosensitisation Screening:
- Screening test for irritancy and/or allergy potential following exposures to UV light.
Skin Anti-Ageing studies:
- Understanding of the link between sun exposure and premature skin ageing is a growing. Intertek can offer advice as well as specialist studies in this area.
Self-Tanning, Sunless Tanning testing:
- Self-tan products is large sector of the cosmetics industry. We can offer studies utilising specialist bioinstrumentation, as well as consumer perception research to meet your needs.