X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS)
X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) analysis and expertise.
X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) laboratories provide quantitative elemental identification and information on the chemical state of materials, including chemcial bonding and oxidation state, within the top 10 nm of a surface. Two-dimensional imaging allows for the mapping of surface chemistry with a spatial resolution of a few microns. Also known as Electron Spectroscopy for Chemical Analysis (ESCA), XPS determines surface layer elemental and functional group composition in the top 5 to 10 nm (nanometres) of a material.
XPS is complementary to Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (SIMS), which is focused on molecular identification.
XPS analysis applications:
- Identification of surface contamination
- Film and coating defect analysis
- Characterisation of flexible electronics components
- 'Plane of failure' analysis for coatings, adhesive joints or complex laminates
- Bulk analyses, such as Cr VI determination or trace analysis
Request more information to see how Intertek can help your organization with X-Ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS).